We analyze a technique used to build a WordPress site. There are so many step to follow to build a WordPress site and everyone, of course, builds his own road, this is a help or a tip, take over by analyzing the work of a technician with a skill of many years. We go on to analyze and share what are the steps followed to develop a site with WordPress.
You can follow different steps to create a website with WordPress: Normally many start immediately with the development, with a consequent loss of time, because, for example, in most cases, one realizes it was wrong to develop a content such as a page, rather than as a custom post type, or often be mistaken choosing the suitable plugin.
If they use certain tools and if you follow the right steps, development times have been significantly reduced.
We divide these phases according to a logic:
- Instruments to be used;
- Static site development;
- Analysis for development of the site with WordPress;
- Starting theme or template;
- essential plugins
We start from the first phase:
1. Tools to be used
The network provides endless tools, instruments and programs that can be used during the various steps of development.
In this case, this Web developer has decided to organize themselves in this way:
- Working with two monitors;
- XAMPP, to work locally with WordPress;
- the Aptana editor with his addition of the bundle dedicated to WordPress that greatly facilitates the development;
- Google Chrome “Inspect Element” feature;
- Sofresh, to see the changes to the CSS without having to reload the page;
- Responsivator, to test responsive sites.
Of course everyone has their own preferences, but in this case we focus on process rather than on the tools used.
2. Static site development
This phase may appear a waste of time, but develop the site in static version, at least for the most complex parts brings some advantages, and see which:
Started in this way brings these four advantages:
- you can show in a short time a working version to the client / webagency;
- it allows you to focus on any complex jquery animations or articulated layout;
- It allows you to do right now testing across browsers;
- It allows you to figure out how to handle then dynamically content with WordPress.
In this phase where you must ensure compatibility with different web browsers, tablets and smartphones. It prefers to do this step right away, so then by focusing only on the wordpress development.
So you go to test the site in Internet Explorer since version 7 and up, using the IE9 compatibility mode, and in all other browsers.
Also we verify behavior of the site on the iPhone and iPad, to see if there are any adjustments required for these devices.
4. Analysis for development of the site with WordPress
It ‘a very important step, because it allows us to understand how to manage site content.
In particular it allows to define:
- if you manage content like pages, items, custom post type, categories or taxonomies;
- plugins to use
Once you defined these stages you can devote to the development of the site with WordPress.
5. Starting theme or template
Now you must move your static version of website in WordPress and the first choice to make is the theme to start with.
Here of course we have a “world” of solutions, as it is WordPress, but as always the best is the most simple: to tackle the problem by choosing a theme as clean and organized as possible which is the ideal solution to start, since then the final theme is developed in full.
6. Essential plugins
In this case the developer has identified some wordpress plugin, which in practice we can keep in mind as an excellent starting point for any site created in wordpress.
- Yoast SEO: great plugin to manage any aspect dedicated to the SEO optimization of your site;;
- Advanced Custom Field: plugin that allows you to add additional fields for entering data;
- WPML: the best plugin to create a multilingual website;
- Contact Form 7: useful to create a contacts module;
- W3 Total Cache: plugin useful to improve the speed of the site;
- Akismet: This plugin is important when you are allowed comments to articles and want to delete spam automatically.